Monday, January 4, 2010

I Didn't Know Mice Were Smart!!!

We have a mouse in our house!!!  When we came home from the holidays, there was mouse poop all over on the shelves in the pantry.  I told Ladd we needed to get the mouse traps out and set them up.  In the meantime, I cleaned out all of the pantry to weed out all the food he had eaten through--they make me so mad.  It had chewed through a brand new bag of rice and a bag of marshmallows, so I had to throw those away:( It had eaten through a fruit bar snack, not a big deal and some other things that really didn't matter but it just grosses me out that it has just been meandering through all of the food!!!  So we set a trap on one of the shelves in the pantry and behind the pantry door along the wall.  Last time we had a mouse we put chocolate chips on it and it worked like a charm so we tried chocolate chips this time.  I check them everyday and I checked the one behind the pantry door and the chocolate chip was gone!  I couldn't belive it.  The mouse got the food without the mouse trap going off!  It hadn't touched the one up in the shelves though.  So I put a chip on it this time and it was a pretty big piece and I check it the next day and it was gone!!!  The mouse managed to get the food without setting off the trap.  So I put another chip on there but I made it really small so it would have to step on it to get it.  Later that night Ladd saw the mouse run from our closet to under our bed!  It was after the Christmas candy Ladd had stuck under there!  So I said ok, that's it, we need to set up more traps!  So we set up two more traps, one under the bed and one behind the refrigerator.  The next morning I check the traps and guess what...all the bait is gone and the mouse was no where to be found!  I couldn't believe what was happening!  This mouse is smart!  So now we know we have the traps in all the right places and he is traveling by all of them but it is doing no good.  I have come to the point of wanting to use the inhumane ways of catching mice with the sticky pads that make them stuck without killing them.  I like to use mouse traps cause it kills them almost instantly but that is not working with this clever little mouse.  Maybe we will use something that will stick to the mouse trap like peanut butter so it can't just steal it with out some effort.  Who knows what will work but I would watch out if I were you little mousey cause I will get you one way or the other!!!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

the sticky traps always work for us but I do put poison in the middle so that they will eat it and die while they are stuck there. good luck